Schematic showing global human trafficking, Author Genetics4good (CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported).
January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month.
Because human trafficking is frequently hidden in plain sight, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center, the non-profit Innocents at Risk, and the Nevada Attorney General’s Office have identified the following warning signs :
- Impoverished, with few if any personal possessions.
- Malnourished, with poor physical or dental health.
- Indications of physical injury.
- Tattoos or branding, especially on the neck or lower back.
- Avoidance of eye contact.
- Scripted social interaction or avoidance of such interaction altogether, with individuals not allowed out in public alone.
- Avoidance of law enforcement.
- Official identification documents lacking.
View original post 114 more words